Knowledge, techniques, and practical tips that every field technician and installer needs to know in order to perform a high-quality, reliable VSAT installation job.
As the follow-on course to GVF510 (Core Skills) and GVF520 (Satcom Fundamentals theory), GVF521 covers the range of knowledge, techniques, and practical tips that every field technician and installer needs to know in order to perform a high-quality, reliable VSAT installation job. Covers the range of practical tips, techniques, and knowledge taiolored for fixed-VSAT field technicians and installers, such as using a compass, calculating levels in dB, voltage drops, cable lengths, using a spectrum analyzer, grounding, basic IP networking, safety issues, and troubleshooting.
Prerequisites:Courses GVF510 and GVF520 .
Audience:The course is appropriate for all installers and field technicians who may be responsible for activating any type of VSAT terminal.
Delivery:Animated & interactive HTML/Flash, self-paced, on-line format. Requires Internet access while studying the course material. High speed access is preferred but is NOT required. Student's computer must have a current browser and the current version of the Adobe Flash player (free) installed.
Tests:Each lesson contains a mandatory quiz and simulator-based skills assessments. All pages must be viewed and all quizzes and simulator tests must be passed in order to satisfactorily complete the course.
Ohms law and calculating voltage drip are explained with animation. Students practice their skills with interactive exercises.
A fully-functional spectrum analyzer simulator enables students to learn and explore the principles of C/N measurement. All analyzer controls are functional in the simulator.
Students learn magnetic variation and practice compass skills with an interactive simulator.
- Understand typical installation instructions and specifications.
- Describe practical configurations for VSAT indoor and outdoor hardware.
- Proper site selection and cable routing choices.
- Describe cable resistance & calculate DC voltage drops.
- Define splitter RF losses and calculate IF level changes through cables and splitters.
- Describe the proper mounting of VSAT antennas.
- Identify proper connector and cable entry waterproofing techniques.
- List the proper techniques and etiquette for activating a VSAT on a satellite.
- List the required tools for VSAT installation and describe their proper use.
- List the test equipment used for VSAT installation (VOM, signal meter, spectrum analyzer) and describe their proper use.
- Describe how a field technician should properly communicate with a customer.
- Troubleshoot basic IP networking problems using ping and tracert.
- Demonstrate correct technique for accurately pointing a VSAT antenna.
- Demonstrate correct technique for accurately aligning polarization in a VSAT antenna.
- Describe the proper installation of indoor equipment.
- Describe proper grounding technique for VSATs.
- List the key safety issues for VSAT field technicians.
- Describe troubleshooting methods for VSAT links.
- List the main preventive maintenance tasks for a VSAT.