Background, technology, operation, and practical aspects of Carrier Identification (Carrier ID), an important tool for mitigating interference.
The satellite industry has been working hard to reduce the global effects of satellite interference. This course covers the background, technology, operation, and practical aspects of current Carrier Identification, an important tool for mitigating interference, with specific focus on DVB-CID principles and practical applications.
Audience:This course is recommended for uplinkers; system engineers, integrators of SNG, video, teleport, and VSAT hub stations; and satellite operations center technicians and engineers; and all those interested in best practices for interference mitigation.
Delivery:Animated & interactive HTML/Flash, self-paced, on-line format. Requires Internet access while studying the course material. High speed access is preferred but is NOT required. Student's computer must have a current browser and the current version of the Adobe Flash player (free) installed.
Tests:Each lesson contains a mandatory quiz. All pages must be viewed and all quizzes must be passed in order to satisfactorily complete the course.
Live simulators explain interference effects.
DVB-CID subcarrier generation and insertion is graphically explained.
Students explore DVB-CID host and subcarrier properties with simulation- based animations
- Describe common unintentional satellite interference phenomena, including adjacent satellite interference, cross-pol, excess power, excess bandwidth, incorrect uplink frequency, and unauthorized transmission.
- Describe the causes and effects of typical interference events.
- Compare prevention and resolution approaches to interference mitigation, and describe industry methods for each, including training, type approvals, geolocation, and Carrier ID.
- Describe how Carrier ID technology works and name the relevant technical standards for Carrier ID.
- Discuss which organizations and regulatory bodies employ, recommend, or mandate Carrier ID.
- Specify new equipment and upgrade existing equipment to support Carrier ID.
- Explain the procedures that satellite operators follow to resolve interference events using the Carrier ID data extracted from interferer signals.
- Discuss the role of the SDA in coordinating interference event data while protecting confidential and private information.