AVAILABILITY PENDING CONVERSION TO HTML5. WILL BE INCLUDED IN MEMBERSHIP WHEN READY. Specific knowledge and skills for crew responsible for operating and monitoring a Cobham SeaTel '09 series marine VSAT terminal at sea.
Necessary knowledge and skills for technicians responsible for operating and monitoring a SeaTel 09 VSAT terminal at sea. (i.e., is equipped with a DAC 2202 or similar control unit). Note: Choose GVF 562-IMA if you are operating an IMA-series terminal (i.e. is equipped with an MXP control unit).
Animation and simulator-based interactivity are used throughout the course to explain critical skills and concepts.
Why should VSAT operators be trained?Marine VSAT terminals offer global broadband coverage to ships at sea. But for maximum up-time, crew members must be able to perform critical ongoing operational tasks after the installation technician has departed.
Audience:This course is ideal for all radio operators, IT technicians, or other crew members who are responsible for operating and monitoring a SeaTel 09 VSAT terminal system while underway, as well as field engineers who will be continuing on to the GVF 503E series courses for installatin and maintenance.
Certification:Students who successfully complete this course are awarded the GVF Marine Satcom Operator: Sea Tel Specialist Certification.
Reference materials included:Students may download and keep the exclusive SatProf SeaTel ’09 series troubleshooting flowchart for operators.
Delivery:Animated & interactive HTML/Flash, self-paced, on-line format. Requires Internet access while studying the course material. High speed access is preferred but is NOT required. Student's computer must have a current browser and the current version of the Adobe Flash player (free) installed.
- Learning system orientation. How to use the learning system, find reference materials, and get help.
- Course introduction. About SeaTel. What you will be learning in the course.
- How it works. Typical above-decks and below-decks installations. Overview of the system hardware components including radome, pedestal, and antenna control unit. The axes of motion of the antenna. Polarization control. Stabilization and the importance of balance. Targeting, searching, and DishScan tracking.
- Normal operation. Reading the ACU and modem front panel LED’s. Checking for healthy operation. What happens when it rains. Pre-defined blockage zones. How to power off and back on. Observing the normal signal acquisition process.
- Switching satellites. Automatic beam switching. Switching satellites manually. How to enter parameters using the front panel.
- Preventive maintenance. Bi-annual check list. Cleaning. Inspecting the radome, cables, drive, and other components. How to tighten loose hardware.
- Problem solving. Determining if an outage is temporary or due to equipment failure. Displaying error codes. Steps you can take without a field service technician on site. Resetting and re-targeting. Using the troubleshooting flow chart. Getting detailed information from common satellite modems.
- Final test. Comprehensive exam covering all lessons.
- Know the components of the terminal.
- Know how the antenna stabilizes by moving on its axes. Understand terminal operation including targeting, searching, tracking.
- Be able to interpret front panel displays and control unit and modem LED’s for normal operation or faults.
- Know how to systematically check the complete system for healthy operation.
- Be able to determine if an outage is transient due to rain fade or blockage, or due to an equipment failure.
- Know how to re-synchronize the system with the ship’s compass if necessary after a power outage.
- Be able to verify that the system re-acquires the satellite after a power outage.
- Understand how automatic beam switching operates, if equipped.
- Be able to manually change to a different satellite, if authorized.
- Be able to perform prescribed periodic inspections and preventive maintenance.
- Make minor repairs.
- Perform basic troubleshooting.
- Understand when it is necessary to call for a service technician.